Connections explores the relationship between digital and analogue iteration. The piece allows audiences to visualize coding in a physical format. Coding and string art have been used to convey this connection between digital and non-digital formats, each block of string art associates with the block of decal coding. By showing the coding under each piece of string art it allows the audience to actually see what each code means and creates.
I believe I have created an artwork successfully exploring the choice of medium. By exploring the connection and also disconnection between analogue and digital forms this work has allowed me to showcase this. String art has defined characteristics that showcase a humble simplicity and fine delicacy of the material used which is often contrasted against the created configurations.
While creating this work I did not intend on creating a perfect canvas. The coding used allowed me to have freedom when crafting the string art, I wanted the four canvases to have layers and textures and also showcase a minimalistic and contemporary approach.
The process of creating this work was lengthy, before I was able to start my string art I had to work with the coding on processing. By creating and carefully choosing four codes that would create and uphold my vision was a crucial point in this task. After creating and practicing both coding and string art on a few prototype tiles I was then ready to officially start with my project.
By plotting and planning the string art to connect and convey the correct coding was an important part of this project. Although I did keep the nails and string in a measured and organized matter, the coding allowed for random points of beginning, chosen direction and ending that allowed for more freedom when creating this project. By creating different thicknesses and length of the string art it allowed for layers and textures to be created within this piece.
I drew inspiration from artists such as Lenore Tawney and Kazuko Miyamoto. I have explored these artists further in previous blog posts.
I believe there are aspects I can improve in this project, I am happy with the codes chosen and the string art created but I could improve the tiles of coding on display. Wall decals were not in my budget so I had to settle for printing on transparent ‘labels’. I wasn’t unhappy with printing on these labels but the vision I had from the start was different to the end outcome.
Overall, I believe I have created an artwork that explores my concept and medium to the best of my ability and I am very happy with the outcome and position of my project.